Spay and neuter assistance

SNAP grants




Nelson Animal Retreat has been awarded the WVSNP Grant!  This means that we can help you get your dogs and cats spayed or neutered at a cost of only $10 if you reside in Wirt County.  However, you will need to fill out the application, either online below or download a hardcopy and submit it to us for processing.   Once approved, we will send you a certificate that is good for 90 days to use at our participating vet, who is:

Ripley Paws Veterinary

406 New Stone Ridge Road

Ripley WV 25271



As a part of the application process, you will pay $10 per animal when you submit the application.  If you pet does not have a current rabies vaccination, they will be required to get one at the time of their spay or neuter at no additional cost to you.  In distributing these certificates, we must follow all WV State Code as cited below. 


All dogs and cats must have a rabies vaccination. The cost of the vaccination will be covered with your certificate.  Please mark on the application if the animal needs a rabies vaccination.  If the animal has received a rabies vaccination in the last 12 months you will want to provide proof to the veterinarian when you take your animal for the pre-exam.

  • §19-20A-2. Vaccination of dogs and cats.

    • (a) A person who owns, obtains, or possesses a dog or cat within the State of West Virginia shall have the dog or cat properly vaccinated against rabies with a vaccine capable of producing immunity for three years, boostered one year after initial vaccination and every third year thereafter. Dogs and cats need not be vaccinated before the age of three months, but must be vaccinated by the age of six months.

    • (b) Dogs and cats over six months of age entering the State of West Virginia must have been vaccinated for rabies as set forth in subsection (a) of this section prior to entry.

    • (c) A dog or cat may be vaccinated by any licensed veterinarian or his or her assistant.


You may have as many animals spayed/neutered as you need but you will be required to pay the $10 for each at the time of application. 


You also are required to provide proof of Wirt County residency.   This can be done simply by providing a copy of a utility bill, mortgage payment, rental agreement, etc. with your application.  If you choose to apply by mail and if you specify that you want the residency proof returned to you, we will do so when we mail you the certificates.  If you choose to use the online form, you can upload copies of these documents and attachment to your application. Your physical address must be listed on the document you submit.


Hardcopy applications should be mailed to Nelson Animal Retreat, Inc., P.O. Box 421, Elizabeth WV  26143. You make the check or money order payable to Nelson Animal Retreat, Inc. and please write spay/neuter in the memo line.  If your application is denied, your money and paperwork will be returned to you.


If you have any questions, please contact Tracy Nelson, at 304-588-8530.

Download hardcopy form here or proceed to online form below.